Friday, February 27, 2009

One Chance

I'd been away from the office for a few days, and when I entered my room, I stepped on a little white envelope. I picked it up and found it to be a notice of resignation.
The sender happened to be in the meeting that I was about to leave for, and he was somewhat jovial. Word had already gotten around when I reached that office and everyone was casual and friendly about it.
The next day, we had our monthly meeting followed with departmental-lunch, and I got called away to attend some matters. When I got back I found that they had expected me to say a word or two with regards to his farewell. The following day, a smaller farewell was planned and I stood there, fully expecting to say my piece.
However, things moved fast, and before I knew it, the moment passed.
And I am reminded over and over that I'm always given one opportunity; and the great see this and grab it with both hands, while the weak rue the moment it passes by.
Here is the opportunity that I missed:
I couldnt say good bye to someone who gave his all to do an honest day's work, despite the trials and travails of working here.
I couldnt let everyone know how inspired i am of his courage to seek greener pastures at a time when grass was turning brown all around us
I couldnt let him know how I believed that his short tenure has equipped him with the skills he needs for his endeavour,
and that i bless his heart for all the good he has given me, and i bleed for all the time I couldnt return the same,
and regardless what everyone says, I believe that his tenure was filled with learning; either with the good deeds to follow, or bad deeds to avoid,
and that i dont hope him for success; I believe a man as good as he will never fail and success is there for his taking.

all these now are mere words, because the opportunity to make it matter has passed.

dar friend,
If we meet again, we shall smile, if not, this parting is well made.

No comments: