Sunday, February 1, 2009

It helps to have a Sense of humour.

My doctor has a bit of a theatrical flair.
As I enter his office, he swirls his seat around, jumps to his feet and offers me a chair. He rifles through the pages of test results, brandishing his pen across his note pages. In a swish of his arm, he dispatches me to Special Diagnostics for a stress test.
The Lab Tech sticks on the little pads on my body and clips the wires on. The treadmill starts at a slow pace; everything is ok until Stage 4 when I find its a little too fast to walk, and a little to slow to run. My wallet, keys and coins are jumping in my pockets. My shins are screaming in pain, and I'm hanging on for dear life on the handle bar. I had this vision of me stumbling, and getting tangled up between the rollers. And the Lab Tech looks up at me, head cocked to one side, asking me if I'm ok. I'm gasping for air and trying to keep up and say "my feet are *killing* me!" He looks at me and says, deadpan,"hang in there, not much longer to go".
Then suddenly it dawns upon him that I might be in trouble and he asks,"Any pain in your chest?" And I hiss, "Only in my legs!"
He rolls his eyes and say; " Oh, that's because you don't exercise! If you exercise regularly, this is no problem at all."
Well, needless to say, a lesson was learnt. When you need to get your point across, hit the guy when he's in trouble, and when you do, make sure you hit him as hard as you can.

No comments: